Elgin, TX 78621
Salary: $13.50 to $15.50 /hour
DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL
Full Time; Non Exempt
The Direct Support Professional (DSP) is a non-exempt hourly full time – live in – direct support position located in Residential, reporting directly to the Residential Manager. The DSP shares the home and lives of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The DSP supports the mission of Down Home Ranch by providing guidance and instruction in all aspects of the individual’s life, so that they may reach their full potential with a goal of living independently. The DSP will join with other staff in a high-level commitment to provide an excellent quality of life for the individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities served through Ranch programming.
Typical work schedule consists of supporting individuals in their homes mornings until 9:00 AM and evenings after 5:00 PM, from 5:00 PM Sunday until 9:00AM Friday; hours will be adjusted according to the needs of Down Home Ranch. There is an additional five non-scheduled hours per week.
Eligible for full time benefits
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Implement the goals of Residential
- Ensures maintenance of household is reported and completed
- Provides transportation and ensures vehicles are clean and well-kept
- Provides coverage in the residential environment as needed and as assigned by the Program Manager
- Coordinates necessary grocery shopping activities
- Assists with meal preparation and ensures that meals are prepared
- Assists with financial planning and management for individuals serviced
- Completes household routines such as waking up residents, prepping breakfast, ensuring chores are complete, etc.
- Understands individual service planning and person-centered planning process
- Promotes health and wellness of all individuals supported
- Is aware of the requirement for documentation, and is able to manage these requirements effectively
- Enhances the ability for individual to lead a self-determined life by providing the support and information necessary to build self-esteem, assertiveness and to make decisions
- Knowledge of formal and informal assessment practices to respond to individual’s needs, desires and interest
- Attends staff meetings, cross functional committees, workshops and trainings
- Performs other duties and responsibilities, as assigned
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum age of 21; excellent driving record and able to pass extensive background investigation
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Willing to better understand the diverse challenges that are faced by individuals with IDD including: community supports, building relationships, and open communication
- Creates and plan activities as requested
- Live in the home with individuals served, housing contingent upon employment
- Provides excellent customer service
- History of supporting individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities or other vulnerable populations
- Completes work with a high degree of autonomy
- Ability to bring others together and reconcile differences
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship building
- Detail-oriented, works well under pressure, takes initiative to solve problems, meets deadlines
- Reads and complies with all company policies and procedures, such as in the Down Home Ranch Employee Handbook.
- Able to write and prepare documentation and reports, as requested.
- Experience and comfortable with business software
- Maintain confidentiality under requirements of the HIPAA statutes
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, with the ability to clearly communicate to employees at all levels of the organization
- Team player with ability to coordinate and work closely with others