Elgin, TX 78621
Salary: $10.00 to $12.00 /hour
DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL
Full Time; Non Exempt
Weekend Shift Overnight
The Direct Support Professional (DSP) is a full time non-exempt, hourly position, shift staff, reporting directly to the Residential Manager. The DSP shares the home and lives of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). The DSP provides guidance and instruction in all aspects of the individual’s life, so that they may reach their full potential with a goal of living independently.
Typical work schedule consists of support individuals in the home overnight Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Eligible for full time benefits
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statements
- Provides coverage in the residential environment as needed and as assigned by the Program Manager
- Coordinates necessary grocery shopping activities
- Assists with meal preparation and ensures that meals are prepared
- Assists with financial planning and management for individuals serviced
- Completes household routines such as waking up residents, prepping breakfast, ensuring chores are complete, etc.
- Ensures maintenance of household is completed
- Provides transportation and ensures vehicles are clean and well-kept
- Understands individual service planning and person-centered planning process
- Promotes health and wellness of all individuals supported
- Is familiar with and carries out the organizational mission
- Is aware of the requirement for documentation, and is able to manage these requirements effectively
- Enhances the ability for individual to lead a self-determined life by proving the support and information necessary to build self-esteem, assertiveness and to make decisions
- Knowledge of formal and informal assessment practices to respond to individual’s needs, desires and interest
- Attends staff meetings, workshops and trainings
- Willing to better understand the diverse challenges that are faced by individuals with IDD including: community supports, building relationships, and open communication
- Reads and comply with all requirements and duties as outlined in staff training, in the Policies and Procedures for Intermediate Care Facilitate/ Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (ICF/IDD) and Home and Community Based Services (HCS) at Down Home Ranch and in the Employee Handbook
- Performs other duties as assigned
- History of supporting individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities or other vulnerable populations
- Able to pass extensive background investigation
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Positive attitude, good people skills
- Flexible, organized, patient, reliable, trustworthy, loyal, outgoing and friendly, good sense of humor
- Able to maintain confidentiality under requirements of the HIPAA statutes
DHR has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and DHR reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as DHR may deem appropriate.