Current group volunteer opportunities
Throughout the years, group volunteers have truly helped create the Ranch you see today. From the barn raising to our annual poinsettia plantings, volunteer groups save the day for DHR! We hosted 23 different volunteer groups in 2017, including large corporate teams like Charles Schwab, Dell and TrueCar to local churches, scouting groups and service organizations. In total, 43 projects were completed last year thanks to group volunteers! Thank you to all who have served the Ranch in the past and welcome to those who are considering Down Home Ranch for your next volunteer project. Please take a look at the current needs below. The first section lists projects that we currently have all the supplies ready to go. In the next section, we list projects that, with a commitment from your group for supplies or a monetary donation, we hope to complete soon. No matter which project you choose, we always welcome you to bring any personal tools and supplies that you’d like to use while volunteering.
Once you find a project for your group that matches your abilities and skill-level, and are ready lend a helping hand, please fill out the form at the bottom of the page. Want to propose a project of your own? Email [email protected] with an outline of your project, your skills and qualifications and what’s needed from DHR to complete it. We’re always happy to look them over!
We look forward to hearing from (and hopefully seeing) you soon!
immediate group volunteer need: DHR poinsettia season
If any of the dates listed below work for you, please email Laura directly at [email protected]
Poinsettia Planting–Involves various stations of volunteer duties such as filling pots with soil, inserting small poinsettia cuttings, watering and placing on tables.
Thurs. Aug. 16 (8am-12pm)–up to 13 volunteers needed
Thurs. Aug. 16 (1pm-5pm)–up to 20 volunteers needed
Fri. Aug. 17 (8am-12pm)–up to 13 volunteers needed
Poinsettia Spreading–Involves moving 10,000+ poinsettia pots around on the tables in the greenhouses to give them more space to grow. There will be constant movement, bending, reaching, walking and placing pots around on various tables.
Thurs. Sept. 27 (8am-12pm)–up to 24 volunteers needed
If any of the above shifts work for your group, please send an email directly to Laura at [email protected] to sign up!
Group Projects that DHR Provides All Materials:
- Build a greenhouse (structure was donated)
- Build retaining walls around the Village (where Rancher homes are located)
- Collect, move, split and wrap fire wood
- Collect brush from around the Ranch and create mulch
- Pressure wash the pool house and finish painting walls
- Weed the blackberry patch, veggie gardens or greenhouses
- Clean windows throughout the Ranch
- Clear rain gutters on Rancher homes
- Trim trees around the Ranch Village
- Dig ditches for fiber lines
- Fill the settled fiber ditches
- Pressure wash various structures across the Ranch
- Help clean residential porches
- Prune the landscape around the new pond
- Straighten the railroad ties to the Lodges
- Clear gravel around Pavilion parking lot
- Dig out old flower beds from Round-About and replace with mulch
- Stain the split post fencing
- Stain the Village light posts
- Paint the metal tube fencing at the barn and the DHR entrance
Group Projects that Require Group to Provide Materials (or equal monetary value):
- Redesigning and rebuilding the greenhouse floors (group pays for ground cover, monetary value of $400)
- Add granite to the fire pit area and refinish the benches (group provides granite and stain, monetary value of $250)
- Insulate the Spur Cabin (group provides insulation, monetary value of $500)
- Stain carports (group provides wood stain, monetary value of $160)
- Repair rotten fascia and repaint the Dock House (group provides pressure treated lumber and paint, monetary value of $250)
ready to jump in?
Fill out the form below and a DHR staff will be in contact shortly.