Respite Options at Down Home Ranch
Take a break and have your loved one visit a real Texas Ranch for a few days! Our respite services provide short term assistance to caregivers by providing staff oversight and supervision with daily living tasks. Respite can be from 2 to 14 days in length; options are based on availability. The service can be provided in either a group home setting with trained live-in staff or in a small independent living setting in the Down Home Ranch Village with staff just a phone call away.
Let Us Know You Are Interested
Respite is offered when space is available. Please send an inquiry to [email protected].
If it’s the first time to the Ranch, we like to set up a trial visit to determine needs and better understand the level of support and oversight that is required during future respite stays. Here is what to expect:
- Contact – Email or phone contact will be made to let you know if respite is available.
- Tour – We will set up a time for yourself or loved one to come out to see the Ranch and meet the Ranchers.
- Paperwork – If the Ranch seems to be a good fit, we will give you an application along with a few other documents that will need to be completed.
- Trial – After completing the tour and paperwork, a 3 to 5 day trial is recommended. The trial is typically schedule Monday through Friday but can be flexible if there is availability.
- Enrollment – Based on the trial, we will notify yourself or your loved one of acceptance for future respite opportunities.
How to Pay for Respite
- Private Pay
- Contracted rates through Texas IDD waivers including Home and Community Based Services (HCS), Texas Home Living (TxHmL), Community Living Assistance and Support Services (CLASS) and other programs that offer respite in their service array
- Contract General Revenue (GR) rates from the Local Intellectual Development Disability Authorities (LIDDA), such as Bluebonnet Trails Community Services and Integral Care
- Private Pay at the daily rate is $151.00, which includes meals, day programing and/or weekend activities
- Waivers that have respite funds, the contracted rates range from $106.00 – $116.00 per day (more than 10 hours in a midnight-to-midnight 24 hour period), day programing is billed as a separate service at $25.00-$35.00 per day
- HCS Host Home Companion Care daily rate is accepted based on level of need
Can Down Home Ranch accept respite funds from waiver programs? Yes, since Down Home Ranch is a provider of HCS, we meet the requirements of many Texas waiver programs to provide respite services. Send us an inquiry to find out more [email protected].
What is the criteria for respite? The criteria is the same as outlined for our residency program http://www.downhomeranch.org/our-programs/residency/
When does respite typically occur? Respite is based on availability. A respite stay can start any day of the week. Each situation is unique and we are willing to be flexible to meet your needs.
Can the Direct Support Professionals (direct care) be trained on medication administration? Yes, if the individual has a nurse in their waiver program who determines a task may be delegated to our trained staff.
How are meals taken care of during respite? When staying in the group home or the independent setting, breakfast and dinner are included at no cost. These meals are balanced and approved by a dietician in most instances. While attending Day Program a hot lunch is served at no cost Monday – Thursday. Lunch on Friday is typically a packed lunch or item purchased during a shopping trip.
What happens during the weekday? The first day on the Ranch, the individual will choose what courses, clubs and skills training they want to participate in during their stay; there are a lot of options to choose from. Check out the Day Program site http://www.downhomeranch.org/our-programs/day-program/ and recent newsletters http://www.downhomeranch.org/news-and-events/newsletters/ to learn more about our programming.
What happens during the weekend? Each week there are activities planned for the weekend that can include baseball games, Special Olympic events, shopping trips, etc. If respite occurs over the weekend the individual will select activities that are of interest to him/her.
If there are activities, how are those paid for during a respite stay? The individual will need to bring spending cash with them during their respite stay. Typically $20.00 – $50.00 is enough to cover any entry fees and shopping trips. If additional money is needed, a phone call will be made to the responsible party to confirm a dollar amount that can be disbursed to the individual. The responsible party will be billed along with any administrative cost incurred.
How is it handled when someone is sick? If an individual has a fever at or above 100.4 degrees and/or has vomiting or diarrhea, it may be requested for the individual to return home.
If paying privately, how should I expected to be billed for respite? Payment must be received before respite begins. Refunds will only be given if canceled 30 days before the start of respite. A partial refund may be given in the event of an illness that requires the individual to return home.
If paying through a waiver, how should I expect to be billed for respite? Down Home Ranch must have an agreement in place with the provider before respite begins. The respite will be billed after the respite stay is completed.
We currently partner with Camp DRIVE to host weekend respite camps on the Ranch. Camp DRIVE is for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. They facilitate meaningful activities for campers and strive to provide an enjoyable and enriching experience in a safe environment. Their team was assembled from experts who are accustomed to working with people of all abilities in educational settings. Camp DRIVE wants everyone who attends our camps to have a unique and meaningful experience. Their hope is that all campers will leave with new skills and a strong desire to return. Click here to learn more about their upcoming weekend respite camps.